Skip to main content

Multifaceted Motivation

Just to piggy back onto Chris' statement; "Having trouble with and unmotivated client? You must find out the real reason they want to train with you. Build emotion and find out ways to motivate them through a session".
This sparked something in me... While you are the educated one on the body and how to get it to yield results you have to make sure that what YOU are trying to achieve is what your CLIENT wants to achieve. There's nothing more boring than pouring energy into something you don't want. Additionally, if your client does not understand what they are doing then their effort or motivation may directly be effected. As a personal trainer you must understand that motivation is not exclusive to a elevated level of energy, yelling and counting down the exercise. DEFINED: motivation is the act of motivating- inducing incentive to do something. Each client will respond differently to different types of motivation. After all- we are called "personal" trainers. This week I dealt with an array of different people. Knowing a little bit about each one and what they wanted really helped me succeed in training them. They left feeling like they were heading to their goals. As a personal trainer you may feel pressure to constantly be verbally motivating your client, (showing your level of attentiveness) but this week I had a client that would much less rather here me counting and motivating than counting and focusing their efforts in their own head. For this person they just liked to learn the exercise and then be guided through their execution. Another client I had this week was so eager to learn about the body and know anything there is to know about training it. They would rather hear what muscle they were working out then what repetition they were on. So with this person I chose certain things to share with them while they were exercising and with each set I would repeat what I told them. Again here- Be careful with eager minded clients not to overload them with information because then the integrity of the information may get lost and the client may end up muddling concepts and not truly getting them. This goes back to the old mantra: quality not quantity.
Make sure as a personal trainer you can curb YOUR wants for the client into a concerted effort with the goals of the CLIENT in mind. Hopefully from there you will find a motivated client effectively reaching their fitness (and personal goals).



Morning motivation: My brother wanted me to time him in his two mile, so I hopped on my bike and just biked a little in front of him, yelled out his time at 5 and 10 minutes. His record was 13 mins, well we just finished the run and his time was 11.02 minutes AWESOME BROTHER!! All he needed was a visual motivation.

MY goal: to truly motivate two people a day to help them reach their goal.



- JANNEL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe