Skip to main content

How do you equate success?

I have been attending many seminars and workshops for "personal" training and something has come to my attention. How do you equate your success as a personal trainer? It appears that all these seminars are saying money=success. They preach about boosting revenue and filtering clients thru the door, big group sessions with predetermined workouts and a one size fits all attitude. So where is the "personal" part of all this? Where is the soul, the connection, the passion, the love?
Before I get any deeper into this I must clear some things up. If you are training a group of athletes who all play the same sport or adults with the same level of fitness, group sessions is the best way to go. It is a smart way to make money but it is not the ONLY way to make money. And while we are on the subject, what does money mean to you?
I know this is all over the place but I'm just tired of people getting up in front of us and deminishing what we do to numbers. I don't know about you but I am in the business of empowering people. When my client leaves a session they should feel like they can take on the world. I don't look at my clients and think " ok here is an extra 300 bucks in my pocket". I truly care and want to see them succeed. I judge my success by how many clients play a whole season pain free or by the person with chronic back pain who finally feels relief for once in their life. Success is more then numbers, it's more then how people you can fit in a 1000 square foot place. I personally enjoy my one on one sessions. Building a relationship with my clients keeps me going most days.
As a business owner I know the numbers are important. We need to be paid for our time and effort. I feel there has to be a way to balance both. With technology the way it is we are losing our ability to form and keep personal relationships. Again, I am not saying group training is bad, we do it at FLO and the people have a great time. If you love training groups then stick with it. But don't do it just to get money that apparently = success. Take a look in the mirror and decide what you love to do and why you do it. Make up your own mind and follow your own path, don't get brain washed by self proclaimed "guru's" who say their way is the best way. What works for one person may not work for everyone. I think many in this business need to do some soul searching and find out why they are here. If money is the only reason then keep it real and say so, dont pretend that you have others best interest in mind. If I offended anyone then good, if the shoe fits wear it.

-FLO

Comments

  1. Speaking from a medical standpoint I can guarantee you that a group training environment increases risk and rate of musculoskeletal injuries because of self limiting exercise. The ability to move and handle vector loads is very different between people and the human nature of wanting to push yourself more than the person beside you adds fuel to a dysfunctional fire. I see people every week that are hurt in group training. It's gonna happen, especially dependent on the skillet of the instructor which can vary tremendously. Of course you can do it, but you better be really good at it too. :)

    Speaking as an individual. WORD!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe