Skip to main content

Lower Leg Injuries from Turf Cleats vs Turf Shoes


Turf Cleats vs Turf Shoes

            Lately, I have been having some issues with high school athletes and deciding whether or not they should use turf cleats or turf shoes. I would like to discuss the pros and cons of each and maybe shed some light on some of the injuries I have been seeing at my high school.

            The major difference between the two seems to be stability and traction.  The turf cleats offer better traction but lack stability because they are raised off the ground. The turf shoes offer better stability because they are not raised but you get less traction. Neither shoe is bad nor good; it all depends on the athlete wearing them. What I have found is athletes who lack ankle stability should not be wearing cleats to begin with. They tend to get more ankle injuries. For example, many of our younger athletes are suffering from Severs Disease. Severs Disease, also known as Calcaneal Apophysitis, is a painful foot condition that usually affects children between 9 and 15 years of age. The tendon begins to pull the growth plate away from the bone. Since the younger athletes have such poor stability, they tend to rely mostly on the calves for all their stability. This causes your lower leg muscles to get over worked and pull on the Achilles tendon which triggers pain in the heel.

            I have found that many of our older athletes (junior and seniors) have no problems with wearing turf cleats. Their musculature is more developed in the lower leg and foot so they are able to support themselves better when wearing the cleats. The major issue many of the older athletes are experiencing are shin problems. Most of it is due to the overuse of the posterior tibialis muscle. This is mostly in part because of the lack of flexibility as well as poor running mechanics. Part of the problem can also be attributed to the fact that the cleats tend to force the foot into plantar flexion causing a shortness in the calf muscles.

Turf Shoes
 


 
Turf Cleats





So what can we do to prevent many of these issues?

            Many of these issues could be avoided with proper training of younger athletes. First, we need to work on their flexibility. Rolling the plantar fascia and calf muscles will help to increase flexibility in the ankle. Stretching their big toe can help with the flexibility as well. Second, we need to do a better job of training their stability. We need to assign more balance exercises. Some exercises are single leg TRX squats, single leg RDL’s, single leg lateral lunges on a bosu ball and indo board training, just to name a few. Third, we need to do a better job of training the core stability and posterior chain of the body. Too often programs focus on squatting and anterior dominant exercises (not that those don’t help these issues). I know they are great at developing strength, but at some point we need to worry about the health of our athlete and not only big muscle development. Regression will help with progression. Many strength coaches do not do a good job of working on these smaller muscles. Mostly because once the season starts many of them do not see the athletes. I however, am on the sidelines day in and day out. I get to see the cracks and holes in many trainers’ programs. This article is meant to help bring some of those cracks to the light.

            This article is just the tip of the ice berg in a much deeper and long winded issue. I just wanted to point out some of the issues I have seen from my perspective of working with the young athletes. If you have any questions feel free to email me at flofitness@gmail.com.

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe