Skip to main content

1% Better

   While reading "Linchpin" by Seth Godin, I stumbled upon a paragraph he had about perfection. In the book he talks about it being a asymptote, in the sense that you can come close to perfect but never really reach it. This is the same concept as that of the road to Mastery. It is a journey not a destination. You continue to strive for it knowing that it will always be out of reach.

So why is this blog titled 1%?

I have often heard fitness professionals talking about getting 1% better every day. And while this sounds attainable and catchy, is it REALLY possible? I believe it is, but only up to a certain point. I will give you an example by using my personal journey in the world of Movement by learning Animal Flow. 

When I first started learning the Animal Flow program I was super excited. It was fun to learn the moves and put them together in a flow of constant movement. I was motivated and saw quick results. You can say I was getting 1% better everyday I practiced. This went on for the first few months. But there were some really tough hand balancing moves that I just could not seem to get. After a few months of practicing the program I got discouraged and went back to lifting and doing things I was good at. I was no longer seeing that 1% change day by day. 

One day the Animal Flow creator, Mike Fitch, reached out to me to be part of his Master Instructor crew. We talked a few times and he had heard some good things about me via some good friends. I jumped at the opportunity even though I had all but stopped my practice. Once I was part of the team I picked up the practice again. This time I had no choice but to continue to practice. I was being paid to perform the movements and I also did not want to look bad in front of a crowd. So I went all in and something magical began to happen. 

I started to gain a whole new respect for the program. The same old moves were no longer the same. My body began to develop a deeper understanding for the movements. The 1% change that I was seeking was not always visible to the outside world but I could feel it. I had more control over my movement and I was able to train for longer periods of time. Once again, on the superficial level none of my improvement was visible. 

I kept at it till I was finally able to do harder and more advanced moves. This opened up a whole new window of QUICK 1% daily improvements. I was posting like crazy on social media all the new moves I was able to do. But then I hit the WALL again. No more quick changes. I was doing the same old moves and could not seem to improve. My daily 1% increases came to a stop and I was back to just practicing to practice and not look silly in public. 

The cycle of the 1% increase was starting all over again. This time I knew what was going on.  I have come to realize that the road to 50% better is always fast. But you will eventually hit a plateau. This is what separates the good from the great. The greats know that if they keep working at their craft, there will be another spike in increased performance. Followed by another plateau. This cycle of the 1% is what seems to stop so many from achieving greatness. They quit when the daily  improvements stop. As Seth Godin says in the book, "...the last 1 percent takes almost as long to achieve as the first 98 percent did.". 

I have read about soft tissue adaptations to movement and how long it takes your body to create a new normal. You also have the central nervous system learning new things and creating new pathways to improve your performance. Much of this is to blame for the plateaus. However, I like to think of these times as the gatekeeper to those who really want it and those who just kinda want it. If you want something, you will continue to pursue it no matter what. While others don't see change, you know deep down that something is changing. You know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your vision shows you what they can't see because its not their vision to have. It was given to you to achieve and its up to you to make it a reality. So keep pushing, keep fighting for that 1% percent. You will never reach 100 but one day you will look back and realize that you have become the top 1% in your field. How's that for irony?

Comments

  1. Hi
    Good information for how to improve body fitness. thank you for valuble information
    Best Fitness center

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe