Skip to main content

What Supplements Should I Give My Child Athlete?

What Supplements Should I Give My Child Athlete?

It seems like every day a new product comes out that is suppose to enhance your athlete's performance. All these outrageous claims are made by all these companies promising things that are just completely false. In this very short blog I will give you every piece of "performance enhancing supplement" advice you will need to make sure your child athlete is performing their best. 
  1. Rule #1 is NO SUPPLEMENT CAN INCREASE SKILL! I hope this is not a surprise to anyone. Taking creatine, or some magic protein shake will not make you better at any sport. The secret to getting better at a sport is Hard Work and Dedication. Its as simple as that. Supplements will not make you jump higher, they will not increase your free throw percentage, they will not give you a better touch on a soccer ball, and they will not teach you how to hit a fast ball. Skill development does not come in a bottle or pill. 
  2. There is not substitute for a healthy diet. I am not a nutritionist but I can tell you that a healthy diet will beat out any supplement you can buy. Eating pizza, donuts, McDonalds, and other foods before or after a game is not negated by some make shake or pill. You can take all the supplements you want but if your eating like crap you will perform and feel like crap. They are called "SUPPLEMENTS" for a reason, they are suppose to supplement what you do not get in your regular diet. They are not made to replace good food. 
  3. HOMEOSTASIS! Does anyone remember this term from sciences class? Your body wants to be in a balanced state at all times. Therefore, if you take to much of one thing your body will want to get rid of what it does not need. How does your body get rid of excess? You guessed it, you will piss it out. Many people are literally pissing their money away. Drinking a shakes with 1,000 grams of protein (obviously i'm exaggerating)  looks cool on the label but your body will most likely discard what it doesn't need. Therefore you may only be absorbing half of what's on the label.  The morale here is that more is not always better. 
  4. Energy Drinks! This is one of scariest topics. Most of the energy supplements and drinks are either filled with caffeine or filled with sugar. Many of the best tasting ones are filled with both, haha. Too much of either of these in your system will cause crapping or will cause you to crash soon after you crazy adrenaline high. Either way this will not help you on the field.  After that insane blood pump and swell your body will crash to once again balance out. There are tons of studies on this topic if you want to google the scientific reasoning behind this. 
  5. Money, Money, Money.  Sadly people who will sell you many of these supplements are looking to make money off of you. Its called business and here is a glimpse of how it works:        I market product A and tell you how great it is by making these empty promises to you. You buy product A from me thinking all this stuff will happen. Hopefully by the time you find out I was wrong I would have made enough money to have moved on and no longer be selling product A.  End of story. 
This is not always the case but in many situations, this is what happens. As a trainer, there is nothing wrong with selling a product that you use and believe in, but make sure it is being sold for the right reasons. As FLO we sell a very simple and pure protein shake and multivitamin. Nothing magical about that. We are sure to tell our clients that it is meant to be part of your diet, not the replace it. We also do not claim it will improve any performance. It is used to replenish your bodies stores after a workout and thats it. 

  1. I can tell you after 6 plus years in the Athletic Training Field and after watching thousands of athletes perform that the #1 killer of athletic performance is…………………………………………… Drumroll please…………………………………………Dehydration!!! I have seen some of the best skilled kids in new jersey play like rookies because they were so dehydrated that their bodies could not move. I have sent athletes to the hospital in an ambulance because of dehydration. I can tell you from experience that most youth athletes walk on the field dehydrated. When I question my athletes to find out how many bottles of water they drink during a school day, do you know what the answer is?  Most reply saying they have had 1 or maybe 2 bottles, and they think that's enough. NO WAY! Not only that, they don't drink water the night before. I don't care what supplement you have in your system, if you are dehydrated the system will not work and your body will shut down. I can promise that. 
  2. KISS Principle. I love how this principle works for everything. Keep It Simple.  As stated before, at FLO we offer a very basic protein and multivitamin. We also explain that proper hydration and a good diet are all you really need. All the gimmicks, magic pills, and bracelets will not make you great at a sport.  Don't believe the hype and be careful where you get your information from.  

I do NOT believe that supplements are bad. I just believe that there is so much garbage out there , that it is very confusing for most people. Hopefully this can shed some light on what supplements people choose. As I stated before we sell basic shakes and vitamins here at FLO. Do we make money for selling it? Yes. Do we force people to take it and tell them that it is the greatest thing in the world? NO!  People are free to decide to use it or go with another product. Either way is fine with us. To view what we offer here is our link http://flofitness.myshaklee.com/us/en/welcome.html
I would strongly recommend doing any research necessary before giving your youth athlete any supplement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe