Skip to main content

The Jersey Shore Body

So I finally went to Tiki Bar for the first time ever, after my buddy Terrell has been begging me to go for like two years. We got thru the crowd and found a spot to chill and relax. While there I was speaking with my friend Tracy and she pointed out that every guy had the same exact body shape. It was insane! Big chest, arms, shoulders and some traps. It was mirror muscle central. Now I must make one thing clear, dudes looked jacked and I am not hating on them. I just fear that they are not being taught how to train the body as a whole. Doing sooooooo much anterior chain exercise is bound to cause injuries in the future. I wondered how many people had some form of impingment in their shoulders.
The second thing that was said and the reason I am writing this blog was from Jannel. She said, "When did being in shape become a fad?". I thought that was so powerful. People got jacked, not for power or for sport, but to look good at the shore. I think it's sad that people don't train for health, I know looking good is great and we are all guilty of posing in the mirror and flexing. However, most fitness professionals train for LIFE. It is part of what they love to do and not just to pick up chicks.
I also hate when people compare these guys at the beach to actual body builders. I know a few REAL body builders and they are insane when it comes to the entire body being evenly built. They train and build the entire body and don't just focus on the chest and arms. So please don't degrade the sport of body building by comparing them to beach bodies. It is two different worlds.
I will just like to point out that I am happy when people show interest in their bodies and workout at health clubs. I just don't want having an in shape body to be a fad that people do now and will dismiss later. Train because you care about your body, because you only get one. So you might as well treat it right.

-FLO

P.S.- I wrote this at like 1am. So I'm sorry if it's a little scattered brained.

Comments

  1. "excellent!" topic Chris, but fitness professionals have to compete with the next "beach body" infomercial, magazine "summer quick-fix" cover story and "REALITY" shows implying happiness as a result of mirror muscle! *without providing the education needed to change behavior and sustain a healthy lifestyle. I agree you only get one body, so you might as well treat it right....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! It was insane to see almost all the guys on the beach with anterior rotated shoulders because they are concentrating so much on chest, traps, biceps and delts but of course only medical delts instead of wprking the whole shoulder girdle. This is not the definition of bodybuilding at all but this is what they see in magazines and the internet as the ideal of health. These guys dont actually take the time to actually educate themselves on how the whole body works as a kinetic chain and whole body heath and wellness. I see this where i work everyday, guys only working chest and biceps every single day. Not evening knowing that they are barely making any significant gains because they keep working the same muscles day in and days out. But try to tell them this and they look at you like you are an alien. But ll you can do is keep trying to educate and eventually a light bulb will go off. Usually i keep some photocopies from my CSCS book that speaks to this topic in my office and hand them out to the perpetrators of the show muscle myth, they may throw them away but at least I tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree....the guys at the jersey shore know how to bench press and do power moves but they know how to inject a steroid. Problem is they do not use it for anything other than exterior attention not health. So yes, i agree fitness has to be a way of life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe