Skip to main content

Becoming a Great Leader: Step #2


#2 Lead by example

            I believe you should not demand anything from anyone that you are not willing to do yourself. One of the greatest quotes I have ever heard is, “A great leader never wears strips on their clothes; they wear scars on their back.” –Miles Monroe. If you are not willing to do the dirty work, your workers will not respect you. As the leader you will have to set the standard. You will have to be the brand.

            One person who I feel is becoming a great leader is LeBron James. His success now is partially coming from the fact that he is walking his talk; he is living up to the hype around him.  He plays hard and expects that his team will play just as hard as him. In the past he would slack off at key parts in games and you could see the team doing the same. Now he plays like a man on a mission from tip off all the way until the last buzzer sounds. There is no let up, because if he were to be lazy, then the team would do the same.

            Leaders know that people follow them. This is not an arrogant statement, this is the truth. If you have ever coached a team you will have experienced days when you feel lazy and don’t want to practice.  On these days you see that the team carries your same attitude. When choosing a leadership role, you must be very cautious because you will be followed. Every step you take is watched by those who follow. I am an adjunct professor at a college and I notice this all the time. If I walk into a classroom with low energy, the kids will mimic my same energy, but if I walk in with FIRE I will ignite them and they will be ready to learn.

            My advice to you is simple, Ghandi said it best when he said “Be the change you want to see in the world.”.  This approach may take the longest amount of time but it is also the most effective form of leadership. People will follow your example so make it a good one. It may not happen overnight but if you are consistent and persistent eventually your point will get across.  Like I said earlier, you must BE THE BRAND.

-FLO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe