Skip to main content

TOP 2 Mistakes most young fitness pros make with their programming


TOP 2 Mistakes most young fitness pros make with their programming

 

                After 3 years of running a mentor program for fitness pros, 6 years of being an adjunct professor at a college for Athletic Training majors, 6 years of being a preceptor for 3 colleges Athletic Training programs, and 16 years in the fitness industry; I have seen my fair share of programming.  There are many mistakes that beginner fitness pros make, as they should because they are new, and with this blog I would like to talk about the top 2 that I see all the time.

1)      Planes of Motion.  I cannot stress enough how important it is the train your athletes/clients in ALL three planes of motion. When I give my college students an assignment to write a program for an athlete, I always get the same exercises ; squat, bench press, leg press, shoulder press, clean, sit ups.  What do all those have in common? Sagittal plane dominate exercises.  Fitness pros seem to be stuck in the flexion dominate world and only measure progress by increase in weight lifted in these exercises.  In my experience, this type of training leads to many of the injuries we see on the field. Athletes train all off season in only one plane of motion and then are expected to play a sport that requires 3D motion.  As educators and mentors, we must stress the importance of multi directional training. At FLO every session with our athletes has at least two frontal plane exercises and lots of transverse plane exercises. We have seen some amazing results lately with our clients using the TRX Rip Trainer to do Anti-Rotation movements. Our athlete’s stability has increase tremendously.

One of the main reasons I have noticed, is that many fitness pros don’t train in other planes of motion because there must be a decrease in load. Athletes tend to want to lift heavy and keep doing more and more weight. However, when it comes to loading in the frontal and transverse planes, you do NOT need heavy load to get great results. At FLO we have some strong guys who have a very hard time doing Ultimate Sandbag Rotational Lunges or Lateral Front Loaded Lunges  with a 20lbs bag.

 

2)      Lack of Unilateral Exercises.  Once again, I believe the reason for lacking in these movements is the fact that you must decrease load in order to perform them. It is much harder to do a rear foot elevated squat with heavy weight than it is to do a back squat. It is very rare that I see people add single leg exercises or single are exercises to a training program.  In my experience with training youth athletes, they have the hardest time doing anything on one leg. They have minimal core stability and very little glute activation. So whenever possible, we get our athletes doing single leg exercises.  There is a ton of research on unilateral training but I will let you go out and do the research on your own. The point of this blog is only to shed light on the lack of use in programming.

 

I am a firm believer in learning by doing and making mistakes. Many young fitness pros will make tons of mistakes, just like I have and many of my friends have. We all have to start somewhere. The purpose of this blog is not to bash those who are starting out; our goal is to aid you in your journey. We would like to shorten your learning curve, so that you may produce the best results in shorter time. So be sure to train your clients in all three planes of motion and add single leg/arm exercises whenever possible.
If you would like a sample of our training sessions at FLO, email us at flofitness@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Very well done !
    Worth Reading!
    Just wanted to share my friends experience here. He is using this amazing Les Mills Combat Package and he is very much satisfied with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! You did an excellent job up there!
    I am waiting for this amazing 21-day Fix Program and I'm really excited to try it out..
    Would you be interested to comment about it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post.Thanks for giving wonderful and very useful information about how actually you have to grow your body and what are the actual ways and also the mistakes are done
    frequently.For more Information Visit
    Best Fitness Center in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe