Skip to main content

The #1 Issue with Runners


#1 Issue with Runners

 We sponsored a 5K race on Sunday for a good cause. At the race I got a chance to talk to a bunch of people who are runners and do many 5K's as well as other running events. While I talked to these people, who ranged from all ages, I would ask them what they do to prepare for a running event and how they train for it. 99.9% of the time the answer was the same. They would say things like,  I run short distance one day and long distance another, or I run 5 miles everyday and do long runs on the weekends, or some other form of running. None to them mentioned doing any form of cross training or other forms of exercise. This proves my #1 issue what runners, they Run to Train and they never Train to Run. 
   I know many people were inspired by the book, Born to Run, I myself enjoyed it as well but due to the lifestyle most americans live, we are not able to just pick up and start running. Let alone run without shoes on. Our ancestors did not have desk jobs and eat fast food all day. They were not overweight and over stressed. Therefore we cannot compare ourselves to them. Yes, our bodies have the potential to be able to run for very long distances but it takes a great deal of training to get to that level.  

 Some of you may be thinking, what right do I have to give advice about running if I don't run.  I am in charge of the well being of over 300 runners every year. Our cross country team has won state championships and have had national rankings. I have seen every running injury you can think of, from a young kid with severs disease to a grow man getting hit by a car while running. My advice comes from pure experience as oppose to unreliable research articles. 

How do you train to run?
Here are my tips for training to run. 
  1. Get an assessment done. Find a local gym or PT clinic that does biomechanical assessments such as an FMS or some form of movement screen. Find where your breaks or weak parts of your body are before even thinking about running. 
  2.  Address the weak parts. Get an exercise program to help you strengthen your weak spots. These are the top breaking points I see in my runners : no core stability, glutes not firing, over tight calves, forward head postures, poor T spine mobility, poor breathing.   Start off addressing these issues first before lacing up your shoes. 
  3. Watch your weight. I often hear people say that they use to be able to run 3 miles in high school with no problem. So they think they can do that at any age. One of the issues is that they are now 40lbs heavier than they were back then. Body weight places extra stress on your muscles and skeletal system when running. Be sure they you are on a weight loss program. (**** No offense to the show they biggest loser, but many of those people have no business running with that amount of weight on them, that is a recipe for injury) 
  4. Start slow. If you have not run a mile in 10 years it is not smart to just go out and try to knock out a mile. Running is an endurance sport and you must build slowly. I often start my clients off with running one lap around the track and walking 3. Each week you slowly progress. If running one lap is painful I will regress to riding the bike until they can handle a run. 
  5. Weight training. I have found that my athletes stay injury free by weight training during the running season. It does not have to be some intense workout program. Just some basic lifts to maintain muscle mass. I normally keep it very simple.. They will do reps of about 12 to 15 and exercises such as squats, hip hinging, pull ups, push ups, etc. No need for crazy power exercises, just something to keep them strong. 
  6. Activation!!!! A good activation routine before running is a great way to prep the body to run. Some people jog as a warm up but that does not activate the necessary muscles to keep you injury free while running. I would recommend some form of bridging to get the hips working, a retraction exercise to keep the shoulder blades activate and back, a breathing exercise to make sure the diaphragm is ready, and a few core moves to get the mid section on board. 
  7. Be careful with braces and compression sleeves. Many of these special socks, compressions pants, tendonitis braces, etc are just bandaids for mechanical issues. You should not rely on them to get you by in your running. They are good to get you over an injury but they should not be part of your everyday running attire (unless you have had a serious injury in the past). At the 5K I saw people with all kinds of clothes and gadgets to get them past their run. Your body needs nothing but itself. These gadgets also do NOT address the main issue of your pain. Most times they will cause pain somewhere else. I see a kid with a knee issue, he gets a brace to keep running and a few weeks later he gets a back or hip issue. This happens very often. 

I hope these tips can help you with your running. I am not against running, I believe it is a great form of exercise and more people should do it. I just believe you need to plan and prepare for it before jumping in. My advice is simple, you must Train to Run and not just Run to Train. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe