Skip to main content

the REAL social media

The REAL Social Media

Last night, we had a networking event for theFLOnetwork and during the event I had an eye opening experience.

We had a great mixture of younger and older fitness professionals.  I noticed that the older fitness pros felt right at home in a social setting. They were relaxed and chatting with everyone who walked in, but there was something different with the younger professionals.

The younger people there looked like kids in a candy store.  It was like a space in their life was finally filled. They were wide eyed and super excited to be chatting with REAL people.  A light bulb went off in my head: this upcoming generation of professionals has really only networked with their cohorts via social media. They read blogs, follow tweets, repost Instagram pics, etc. but they never really get REAL life interaction with people in their industry. 

Coming up in the fitness industry, my best friend Denise Loustau taught me the importance of building a network. She would take me from gym to gym in New York City building her relationships with the owners and repping TRX, which she worked for at the time.  She single handedly built their whole NYC connection, which still stands strong till this day. I got to personally connect with people and build long lasting friendships that have helped me grow and still flourish today.  This is a huge missing cog in the wheel of the industry now. We are missing connection with each other. 

Benefits for old and young

Last night, I witnessed the benefits of connecting the older with the younger energies in a REAL social setting.  The seasoned pros got to feel the enthusiastic, ambitious, and sometimes reckless energy of the younger pros.  It has a nostalgic feel of when they used to feel the same way.  The younger energy got to learn the wisdom, hear advice, and experience the point of view of someone who has been through it already. Both sides need these interactions to continue to grow.  We never want to feel alone, and getting together to talk shop helps us realize that there is more out there.  We all want to improve and grow as professionals but we cannot do it alone. We need to talk, share ideas, share our passion, bring our energy, and share our gift.



I can’t wait till our next event on Feb 19th. If you’re interested on joining the movement email theFLOnetwork@gmail.com



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe

Quad & Hip Flexor Mobility & Flexibility

Why is it important to include mobility work for the quads and hip flexors? Tight muscles in the anterior compartment of the leg can cause a number of problems, two of which I will discuss in this blog. 1.     Tight quadriceps and hip flexors can put you at an increased risk for a hamstring injury. When people say that a muscle is “tight,” they are essentially saying that the muscle is chronically shortened. Without getting too much into the anatomical specifics, when the hip flexors are “tight,” or shortened, they pull on the lumbar spine. This pull on the lumbar spine increases the curve of the lumbar spine (excessive lordosis) and in turn causes an anterior pelvic tilt.  When the pelvis tilts anteriorly, the hamstrings (attached to the ischial tuberosity) can become excessively stretched/lengthened, which can lead to a strain. Therefore, by keeping the hip flexors and quadriceps at proper length, we can keep our pelvis in a neutral

1% Better

   While reading "Linchpin" by Seth Godin, I stumbled upon a paragraph he had about perfection. In the book he talks about it being a asymptote, in the sense that you can come close to perfect but never really reach it. This is the same concept as that of the road to Mastery. It is a journey not a destination. You continue to strive for it knowing that it will always be out of reach. So why is this blog titled 1%? I have often heard fitness professionals talking about getting 1% better every day. And while this sounds attainable and catchy, is it REALLY possible? I believe it is, but only up to a certain point. I will give you an example by using my personal journey in the world of Movement by learning Animal Flow.  When I first started learning the Animal Flow program I was super excited. It was fun to learn the moves and put them together in a flow of constant movement. I was motivated and saw quick results. You can say I was getting 1% better everyday I pract