Skip to main content

College Strength Coaches Need to Wake UP!


Sorry for the disrespectful title of this blog, but lets be honest, it was the only way you would actually read this blog.

                I would like to touch upon the subject of summer packets for incoming college athletes.  I am getting packets in now from many different schools, some of them are really high level division 1 schools and some are low level division 3 schools.  Either way, there are a few tips that I would like to give you that I think would help in making it easier on other trainers to decode your programs.

1)      A picture is worth a thousand words.  Many of you may have specific names for exercises that you want done. Most of these are not universal names. I am guilty of re-naming exercises all the time.  When I write programs, I provide a youtube clip of myself or staff doing the exercise. It would help our athletes and their trainers if you provided picture diagrams or video links to many of the exercises in your programs.

2)      Simple math.  Some programs I have seen would need a math teacher to figure out the numbers. I have always followed the KISS method when putting together a program for my athletes.  Using percentages from a max is great but to give an incoming freshman a sheet with all numbers on it and expect him to understand it is crazy.  Most of them don’t know how to lift any. Simple sets, reps, and a percentage of weight should be enough

3)      Linear progressions are not always the best way to go.  I had a dad come into my office in a panic.  His daughter, who is very very type A, was following her packet to a T.  He had reviewed it and had an issue. If she were to follow the packet as written, her last week of conditioning workouts would have been three  7hour  workouts!!! This would have been a week before entering camp. As I looked over the packet, the coach literally just copy a pasted the 1st day of conditioning and added another round of their circuit each week.

4)      Match the training to the sport.  We all know that athletes all do the same movements in training : push, pull, squat, rotate, etc. But at least make a team feel they are being cared for. I got a packet that had               XYZ  University Football Summer Program crossed out with a sharpie and hand wrote Girls Lacrosse under it. That’s not cool.

5)      Minimal Options.  I got a program that had about 15 different exercise options for each training exercise. For example it had Upper Body Push in a block and on a separate sheet of paper had a list of about 15 different exercises you could use. I actually really liked this approach, except for the fact that the kid was soooo confused on which to use. I believe with training less is more. Give them maybe 4 or 5 different options for lifts.

 

With this all this being said, I have been training high school athletes for almost 10 years now and have been in fitness for over 15 years. I have met some amazing college strength coaches and have learned a ton from them. I have also seen some wonderful programs and have also learned a ton from those programs. Writing a program for an incoming freshman, you have never met or seen before, is no easy task and I understand that. I applaud you all for the work you do and have nothing but respect for your industry and what you do. We are all fighting the good fight and as in any industry, there are your Greats, Goods, and Ugly’s.  I hope this blog can help the Ugly’s  to improve on their efforts when putting together summer workouts for their athletes.

Thanks  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe