Skip to main content

Floods vs Rivers


Floods vs Rivers

            While reading the book Generation iY by Tim Elmore, it made an interesting analogy that I felt I wanted to expand on. It discussed our generation at being more of a flood rather than a river.  It describes our youth at being all over the place but yet shallow. I would like to take a moment to expand on this thought from some of what I have experienced.

            I have noticed this concept of being a “flood” with many people. They have all these great ideas, which I think are a good thing, yet they lack the focus to pursue any of them long enough to see any result. Let’s take business for example.  I talk to many people who want to open up training studios. They have this great idea of how it will operate and what kinds of training they will do. This to me is always exciting and I love to help. However when it comes time to get things going, they have already moved their focus onto some other project. They quit before they ever give themselves a chance to succeed. They lack direction, focus, flow, and depth.

            I am also blessed in life to know many people who are “rivers”. These are the people who are dedicated and focused.  They follow one path and will not stop until they have reached their goal.  They cut through adversity, they rage over obstacles, and if you get in their way, they will take you for a ride.  Rivers are deep and flow with purpose. They steady the course and see the dream until its fruition.

            I do believe many of us are a combination of the two. When it comes to the things we love we can be rivers, but when it comes to things we just like, we act as floods.  A balance of both in life is probably the best route to travel. However, with the changes in our world, we are turning more of our youth into floods. They jump on what’s new, what’s hot, and what can get them quick cash. They fear the long term commitment of creating something and working hard at it until it finally pays off. We need to school our youth to not quit with things get tough, to face adversity head on, and to kick down the door when opportunity doesn’t knock. We need to create the rivers of tomorrow from the floods of today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe