Skip to main content

Don't get lost in the numbers (Warning for Performance Coaches)



In business, looking at your numbers is a great way to measure success.  Actually, in anything you do tracking your numbers is a way to measure progress. I understand this concept completely. However, I have found that in fitness and performance coaching, people are getting lost in the numbers. They are forgetting what their main job is because they are to busy watching the numbers.  I will give you an example of what I mean. 
Example 1: (My biggest pet peeve)  Many "performance coaches" brag about the numbers that they have their athletes lift. There is nothing wrong with this because it is a great measure in how your athlete is increasing in "strength" (I put strength in quotes because it depends on how you define strength).  With that being said, I ask you the following questions.: 
What was Micheal Jordan's max squat?
 How many burpees could Wayne Gretzky do before he puked?
 What is Usain Bolt's 3 rep max on bench?

 I can probably guess that your answer to those questions is, "Who gives a sh*t!!"  Pardon my language but it's the truth! No one cares what your numbers are if you can perform on the field, court, rink, pitch, track, etc..  Once again, I am not saying that those numbers are NOT part of performance, I am saying that they are NOT the only measures you can use. The reason I am passionate on this point is because when "performance coaches" only focus on certain numbers they lose site of the main goal. The main goal is to have your athlete perform their best at their sport, not to flip a car.  
Here is the scenario I see over and over and over again with youth athletes. Athlete tells me how much they lift on the offseason, they are so excited about how strong they are, and can't wait for the season to come because they are proud of their accomplishments and hard work (As they should be because  they did work hard and should be very proud of themselves).  The season starts and 3 weeks into the season the athletes suffers a non contact injury and is out for a few weeks. This is a huge set back and many times the injury may linger on thru the season. They don't perform at optimal level and have an average season at best.
 
 So, Who is to blame? 

 In my experience, "performance coaches" get so lost in the numbers for Sagittal Plane exercises  (bench, squat, deadlift, pull ups, hang clean). They forget sports are 3D. If you can squat 315lbs but can not contra laterally stabilize yourself in a static position, you have issues. If you can bench 300+ but can't hold a side plank for 15 seconds, you have issues.  The body needs to be balanced if it is going to perform in a sport.  It must be able to move efficiently in ALL planes of motion, especially on the youth level. 

As I mentioned earlier, I am not opposed to using numbers to measure progress. I am however opposed to making them your only measure. For my athletes at FLO, I like to use Movement as our measure. Athletes come in with terrible form and no stability; we help them to learn their bodies and be able to control their movement. We also load them and increase their ability to lift more weight but it is often a by-product of their bodies becoming more efficient.  Our focus is, cleaner movement during athletic performance. The results are athletes that can play a WHOLE season without a non contact injury. I am not saying we can prevent every injury but we avoid many of the common ones. This is our main measure of success at FLO.  Our theory is very simple : No one cares how much you can lift if you are sitting on the bench with an injury!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the NEXT STEP

Taking the NEXT STEP!! Im sure we have all reached a  point in our lives where we know its time to take that next step, next level, begin the next chapter in our life. It is by far  one of the scariest times for all of us. The point where we realize everything we have ever done has led us to THIS! This is our moment to shine and like Eminem says, " You only get one shot, do not miss your chance blow. Opportunity comes once in a life.".  The one scary thing is, you know after THIS moment, nothing will ever be the same.  Once you cross THIS line, you can not go back.  THIS is it and the pressure is on. They say, "Pressure bust pipes, but It can also make diamonds.", only you can decide what it does to you.  We all get to THIS moment, but few rise to the occasion. Few feel the fear and keep walking forward.  You can either step into greatness or step back into comfort.  Many will choose to step down and let THIS moment pass them by. Once they do that, the rest of t

Positive Attracts Positive

Ever hang around some negative people or in a negative environment? How did you feel during and after you had left? Did you feel drained of energy and just not happy about the situation you were currently in? Guess what.. your attitude, drive and passion effects others around you. If you create that positive energy and always surround yourself with positive, upbeat, driven people, you can only find more success in life. Being surrounded by my Flo Family along with everyone else such as Patrick Lerouge (www.revivetm.com) or Paul Newell (www.balancedwellness.org), I started to see my true potential and what I am truly capable of. They bring out the best in me because of their positive energy. They believe I can do it and push me to my limits. Even when I feel so uncomfortable with doing something, such as speaking in front of a group... they pushed me knowing that I could do it. I would have never seen myself get this far into my career without the Flo Family. I have learned so much, m

Are you brave enough for a COLD SHOWER?

Why I Take Cold Showers And You Should Too For the past three years I’ve taken a cold shower almost every single day. You might think I’m crazy and at first; trust me, at first I thought I was too. But hold your judgment, hear me out, give it a try and then you can thank me. What are the benefits of cold showers? 1.     Improve Mood A 2007 study looked at how cold showers affected people with depression. Here is what the authors of the study hypothesized: “Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect.” The study ended up finding that cold showers of 2-3 minutes helpe